Friday, January 26, 2007

what IS important to me?

A question was posted on another blog: http://www.naturally-natural.blogspot.com/
as to what is truly important to you....do you have to much junk in your life, what can and can't you live without?
I KNOW I have too much junk in my life! but I am working on that, slowly but surely. (going on 3 weeks of a decluttered house...um...the first floor anyway!) Getting rid of things that have no use and limiting/eliminating your intake of stuff helps...but I think this question is really important and a great way to take stock of things to help me continue to simplify.

What I Can't Live Without or Don't Wish to Do Without
There is the obvious (not in order of importance)
1. My husband
2. My two insane cats
3. My best friend
4. My parents, in-laws, and siblings.

There is the not-so-obvious but understandable
5. Meaningful and challenging work
6. Quietness and time for reflection - something I have only recently discovered.

And the material, but also important to me
7. Wholesome, natural organic food...makes me function so much better to be healthy!
8. Good wine and beer (ok, not while pregnant but otherwise this is something I enjoy)
9. My "hippy" one of a kind patchwork clothes I love but DH hates (hee hee)
10. Baggy sweatshirts and flip-flops (comfy!)
11. A porch with chairs to be outside and observe my surroundings
12. A good hot cup of coffee
13. Books, magazines, and other material to broaden my horizons.
14. Contact with nature and nice natural surroundings (please don't make me look at concrete all day!)

Some things I could DEFINITELY live without?
1. TV
2. knick-knacks
3. An SUV or any brand new car (totalled mine months ago and have been perfectly satisfied with my tiny, cheap, used, no frills car)
4. Eating out for lunch everyday (expensive and un-necessary -love my PB&J!)
5. Credit cards (woohoo, don't have one anymore!)

I will continue to add to this list after my "experiment"! (sorry for the science geek talk)
I have an empty spare bedroom save for another bed and an empty dresser. I am going to "move in" and only bring in what I use on a daily basis (will do this slowly as I need/use things). After a month or two, I am going to chuck/donate/recycle anything in my currently disasterous cluttered mess of a bedroom that I haven't used or missed. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Clickin Mama J said...

Great list! Maybe you can motivate me to let more things go.

Teri said...

When we moved from our small house to an even smaller trailer, we put everything in boxes or bins and stored it in our friend's old goat barn. The things I must have are things I go and dig out of the boxes and drag into the trailer. When we finally have our own storage area, I will go through everything left in the boxes and bins and throw some of it out.