Friday, January 26, 2007

true connection, green action, and frugal choices

I was reading another blog about sustainable living : http://pathtofreedom.com/journal/
I highly reccommend it. They have been dealing with heavy frost and their harvest is severely effected. It is so humbling to read about others who are truly living in connection to the earth. It is a good reminder for all of us that although the grocery store isles are far removed from nature, it all comes at a price. That 99cent box of Mac and Cheese really isn't 99cents when you factor in all the costs of manufacturing, transport, packaging, processing ect. It may not get passed onto the consumer...yet. I actually wish it would. I wonder what things would TRULY cost if these factors were actually accounted for? I don't think we here in the United States would be so spoiled if that was so.
Speaking of green things - I finally emailed the priest at my church in regards to "greening up" our parish. I am not sure if we are recycling or things like that but I emailed him to volunteer to get us started in some more sustainable practices. I think as Christians we should be setting an example for others as far as respecting His creation and using God's resources wisely.
Not a whole lot of decluttering the past couple of days but am successfully keeping what is done clean and organized. I also resisted the urge to get take-out/packaged food for dinner after an exhausting day and instead made a frugal dinner out of some random stuff I had at home. This recipe I got out of a cookbook but it was all stuff I just had sitting unused in the cabinet - it was great! And enough leftovers for tomorrows lunch.

Pasta
1 can salmon or tuna (dolphin safe of course)
1 can navy beans
Pasta
Lemon Juice, basil, salt and onion powder to taste
Olive Oil (~2 tbsp.)

Warning: If you have cats you will have to fight them for it!
Sorry its not exact but it is pretty good! Now off to make some frugal/sustainable menus so I don't overshop at the store this week :)

No comments: