Saturday, January 27, 2007

Can we just "be" ?

I used to think that if I just bought this, or invested my money in that...that would be the solution to being who I want to be. Surely if I bought the outdoor gear...I would be an outdoors person! Or surely if I bought the magazine on something I would gain that interest. It is almost an exercize in self-loathing...instead of being content and happy and just doing what I wanted to do, I thought I could buy my way into being who I wanted to be. Thank goodness I have gotten over that mentality...not only for my own sanity, but for the sake of the earth, and of others.

I have really truly enjoyed my last few weekends. I think it is mainly because I have taken the time to do nothing, to relax and simply enjoy what I have. This has given me time to reflect not only on my own life and happiness, but some general musings as well. I guess I am REALLY happy that during these nice quiet down-times I have truly felt "Enough". I am happy with where I am in life, and I definitely I feel as if I have enough in life - enough food, enough clothing, enough friends and family, ect. I feel no striving for a new plasma-screen TV, the latest fashions, or whatever. I don't feel like this everyday, but I guess that is why it is important to me to take stock of my life on a regular basis so I don't get sucked in by Society's - BUY BUY BUY siren song. And I am by no means perfect! It has taken me a long time to have the courage to just be.

One thing that was disconcerting today...I got the chance to go to a local park and just enjoy nature, observe the river (I got to see a Great Blue Heron harass a flock of mallard ducks today!) and just chill. I was amazed at how many people seemed unable to do that! Everywhere I looked there was at least one person yammering on a cell-phone or doing something else to distract themselves electronically or otherwise.

Are so many really that conditioned by The Consumer Culture to feel DIScontent, restless, and unfulfilled that it is impossible to simply enjoy some quiet moments and reflect? To not be connected for even a short time for fear of missing out on the next big thing?
Even in my day-to-day life, I am amazed at how the majority of conversations turn to TV or the next product to purchase. Fewer people seem to be just reading books, spending quality time with loved ones (without the Idiot Box), or simply having their own independent thought or even hobbies beyond shopping for the next big bargain. We have more leisure time then ever and what do we do with it....do we create? do we explore? do we challenge ourselves and our thinking? do we help others or solve problems?

No.... we fill our lives with all these distractions. Its amazing number of people who just CAN'T BELIEVE how little TV I watch, how I never shop "just to shop", and intentionally remove myself from consumer culture. I don't even bother to listen to the radio anymore beyond NPR as it is 70% commercials and 30% crappy music with the same 10 songs repeated over and over and over.... (Thank you Crappy Clear Channel Corporation).

Are we beyond hope? It seems we need to go beyond appealing to the goodness of people's hearts to change our massive overconsumption that is destroying the planet and keeping others in poverty. People's very way of thinking and way of life needs to change...living by example I think is key...showing society there IS another way. But...are there any willing to venture into this new territory...to go seemingly backwards from supposed progress....to boldly experience our own lives, own minds, our own ideas without distractions...without anyone telling us how, why, or what is important for us? Can we just be?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Questions I ask almost every day. I think I'm learning. It's weird how hard it is. But the more you do it, the easier it gets.

But people are going to think you're weird. That's okay too.

Glad Phelan pointed you out, I'm enjoying your blog. I've been thinking a lot of these thoughts lately, and trying to learn to not need so much stuff . . .

willow said...

Exactly, we need to remember that we are human beings not human doings!

Eilleen said...

You know I am learning more and more how my own consumption habits (the ones I'm trying to break) has been my main prop for my ego.

So much of how I wanted to see myself depended on me consuming to maintain the image.... and this even included buying a lot of natural stuff!! Its a complete lie of course.

Still I reckon there are a lot of people (including me) who are finding the thought of consuming less a threat to their identity/ego.

Downshiftingpath said...

Lovely post and very worthwhile questions. You seem contented with your new direction in life and you seem to be preparing a wonderful environment for your baby to find its place in this world. Follwo your bliss.

Jana said...

You echo my feeling exactly! Are you in my head?

Teri said...

Try XM. We've turned to that instead of tv. My husband still gets his beloved baseball. I have my bluegrass and we both like Old Time Radio shows. It's much cheaper than our cable bill was. Since we live in the sticks, we don't get many regular radio stations.

Phelan said...

Wonderful post.

e4 said...

Great post. You are so right about quieting our minds and our lives. I often catch myself thinking, "A free moment, what can I fill it with??"