Friday, January 26, 2007

The "I Deserve" Mentality

I have noticed that a lot of my family and friends do care about the environment.....but not enough to change to greener habits.When it comes down to it, many have either the "I Deserve" or the "I Need" Mentality
"I know this car is a gas guzzler, but i have worked so hard for it and deserve a new car"
"I know disposable plastic is a bit wasteful, but I am so busy and deserve the convenience"
"I know the packaged food is bad for the enviornment but I deserve this treat"
"I know soda takes so many chemicals and such to produce but I need the caffeine/sugar"

When did this mentality start to emerge? I am guilty of it at times as well, but where does it come from? Advertising? Peer Pressure? Both? Why don't people realize that having all of these things is a PRIVELEGE and not a need? I personally get very tired of the whole "I Deserve" way of thinking. I think there are very few things people actually deserve - Food, Water, Shelter, Safety, Adequate Healthcare - and that is about it. Sounds harsh I know, but why do we NEED to have all these things when others must go without...sometimes BECAUSE we consume these things? When did a luxury car or a gigantic SUV become a NEED and not a privilege? When did we start to NEED highly processed food, iPods, ect.?
I am trying to change my vocabulary about this. Yes I would LIKE to have an iPod, and I would LIKE to have the convenience of throw-away containers....however I don't feel that I DESERVE these things or NEED these things...especially when it destroys our environment and puts others in a bad situation (i.e.-unfair trade, sweatshops, ect.). It is a privilege but not necessary and thus I can do without in order to help others and the earth. At least I am trying...believe me I need a lot of work myself! No more "I need" or "I deserve"!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Great Post! We do need to change our language, and come to really udnerstand the difference between needs and desires. For too long the line has been confused.

I'm glad you switched to blogger. It's so much easier to comment!

am said...

Although I am not Catholic, you have reminded me how grateful I am to writers who are in the Catholic tradition and speak to my heart -- Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, Simone Weil, Flannery O'Connor, Anthony de Mello, Denise Levertov and Brother Lawrence come to mind immediately -- and that I find kindred spirits in all religious traditions. I found your blog through your post today at Dharma Bums. Yesterday I heard about a film called Die Grosse Stille, made by a Catholic filmmaker named Philip Groning. The film is about a Carthusian monastery in the French Alps. There is a trailer at http://www.diegrossestille.de/deutsch/index.html.

BurdockBoy said...

I enjoyed this musing. I also whole-heartedly agree.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I have met older people who are under the impression that we don't deserve anything and should suffer as they did during the depression. Iguess there needs to be a balance somewhere.

Unknown said...

Recognition is the first step to change. I remember when I discovered "green" living. I was SO stoked and wanted to do everything at once. After awhile, however, I became exhausted with trying to change and frustrated because I felt like I wasn't doing enough. I preached to anyone who would listen (and got a lot of eye-rolling). I've calmed down a bit since a year ago and now realize that little steps are best (at least for me). I would LOVE to be without television - it's a huge crutch for me at night when I am so tired (I have three kids) and, especially, when my husband is traveling. But at least we are one step closer - we recently downgraded our cable subscription. I know it sounds silly, but it's a start!

I've really tried to be more aware of the I Want vs. I Need mentality. I guess when you are living paycheck to paycheck anyway, there is not much room for frivolous spending. Paying the mortgage and having enough money for food and heat are my biggest concerns (thankfully) and not $200 pair of jeans or the latest gadget.

Sorry to ramble!