Thursday, March 15, 2007

Simple living cures for the "blahs"

I have found more and more that it is NOT the big-ticket items that make me happy.
I went through sort of a "funk", frustrated with frugality, frustrated with being fat and pregnant and just plain bored being stuck at home all day with not a whole lot to do (yet).

However, I honestly could not think of anything I wanted to splurge on that would have made me feel any better.

Plasma screen TV? No way, I don't even care to watch much TV and could care less about that.

Expensive clothes? Ok, I did get a pricey new pair of much needed shoes but I they are very good quality will last a very long time compared to the cheapo ones that wore out within months. They make my feet feel better but did nothing for my boredom/funk.

New car? Nope, I love my little compact with the peeling off bumper-stickers, it serves me so well and no stress about finances because of it!

What else to people even spend money on these days? I honestly couldn't think of anything.

What ended up making me feel better was:
going out to dinner with my best friend,
enjoying the gorgeous weather we have been having by taking walks by the river,
hearing my baby's heartbeat in the Drs office,
listening to and laughing at my husband explain to me how he "needs" a jet-powered beer cooler (some homemade contraption he found plans for on the internet...i hope he's kidding! LOL)

None of these were expensive, needed financing. All were environmentally sustainable (as long as my dear husband doesn't really try to build a jet-powered beer cooler!) and simple.
I honestly have enough....so what on earth are people going into all this debt for?

3 comments:

Teri said...

They go into debt because they have a big hole in their hearts. They keep trying to fill it up with things. It never works. The only thing that will fill up that hole is love, love for other people and love for God. You have love in your life and that's why things have lost their appeal.

Gina said...

Oh, I can so relate to the tired of being pregnant thing, LOL! Hang in there-it goes very fast.

I've been wondering this myself (debt) because, like you, it is the "simple" things that make me happy.

Jenny said...

Simple is beautiful, isn't it? Sure, it's fun to go shopping but that thrill doesn't last long and it's not satisfying like the simple things.