Sunday, March 18, 2007

My Victory Garden

There has been a lot of talk in the simple living world about "Victory Gardens". They were encouraged during WWII to conserve resources, and now many are starting them for similar reasons.

Anywho, mine has been started!
Now keep in mind I have a black thumb...all veggie gardens to date have produced a few puny veggies and promptly thrown up and died. But I did alot more research this year and plan to care for it much more diligently so I will hopefully meet with some success. At least its fun trying.
Here is what I have started:

Sunflowers (for seed - one of DH's favorites)
Bell Peppers
Cherry Tomatoes
Oregon Spring Tomatoes (an early variety)
Peas
Pole Beans
Cantelope
Broccoli

What's even better is that the Sunflowers, Bell Peppers, and Beans were FREE courtesy of the folks at Green, Blue, Brown and the rest of the seeds were on sale for 10 cents a pack at the local hardware store ...they were last years seeds but if even 25% of them sprout I will be inundated with plants! Including containers and dirt, my entire garden cost me 15 bucks.

These first seedlings are really an experiment, I want to see what sprouts and does well first before I plant more. What does ok will be transferred to larger containers and more will be planted after I move at the mid-May (sucks moving during growing season!) Luckily here in the south we have a long growing season and I can get away with planting later in the season as we can grow into October easily.
I also welcome anyone's advice about keep these things alive!

3 comments:

Jo said...

I have no advice, but you have inspired me to begin research and planning for our garden. I have until the start of May, of course, but it never hurts to prepare.

Elderwoman said...

Wonderful that you are doing a 'victory garden' !
I remember those from my childhood in WW2. My granddad dug up half the backyard and we grew all sorts of stuff. They let me plant sunflowers, which finished up taller than I was - I was SO proud of them. And carrots. I can still remember the taste of my own, very first, baby carrots. It instilled in me a lifelong passion for gardening and for the simple, 'home-grown' life.

Anonymous said...

turnip - it is so cool that you are creating a victory garden! post on the forum at revivevictorygarden.org to share that you are doing it! :)

I can't wait to hear more about your garden.