Saturday, March 3, 2007

simple hobbies

Half-time last week and now full-time, I am officially working at home to finish writing my disserattion. Professional writers, I don't know how you do it! Personally, I am going a bit stir-crazy.
Its not even being at home all day....its that I really have trouble having nothing to do but write all day everyday. I have always been able to break up the day between experiments, papers, and literature research, but now all I have to do is write...write....and write some more.
This has led to some temptations as far as consumerism....I find myself wanting to go out and just wander around the shops just to get out of the house and have a change of pace. Not that window shopping is at all bad, but with me I KNOW it will lead me to buying something I don't need, and probably don't even really want. So...I need a frugal, simple-living-friendly hobby to break up the day. I have decluttered, purged, cleaned, and organized to death. Physical activities are out...I am 31 weeks pregnant and getting downright uncomfortable. A walk a day is enough for me. I certainly read enough all day working on the dissertation, so what else can i do? And how can I avoid having to buy a whole bunch of stuff to do it?

I do have some seeds from last year still laying around...I may start an indoor herb garden...provided the cats don't eat it! This would provide herbs for a lot of my cooking endeavors (I love to cook), and make the house smell and look better and help me to hone my gardening skills for the coming spring/summer. I am open to any and all suggestions though...hopefully without having to buy and accumulate lots of stuff...

Interesting, so often when people are bored and unhappy, all the commercials say if we just buy something (whether it be an "adventrous" SUV, a new cell phone, or even soda!) our lives will suredly be more exciting and interesting. Luckiily, I do not feel any of that! Off to plant some basil.....

5 comments:

willow said...

I would suggest knitting but then I would as there has hardly been a period in my life when I haven't had some knitting on the go. I understand that you don't want to buy lots of stuff, or confuse wants with needs so how about a sock knitting kit. Not too big, not too costly and I have yet to find a knitter who can't justify the need for socks!!

Phelan said...

If you love writing, it's not a problem. :D

Moonwaves said...

I'd second the knitting suggestion. Or sewing or any other craft you might have an interest in or any experience of. Knitting is great though - I'm only a beginner but it's very relaxing. And, of course, baby stuff can be so cute. Have you ever learned to knit?

Teri said...

If you work with what you have, you could do scrapbooking. I just picked up a great book on turning old books into new scrapbooks. The downside is that you would be tempted to get stamps, etc and it might turn ugly quick.

Do you have Freecycle in your area? You could post asking for knitting supplies. Just mention that you are trying to learn and are due to have a baby shortly. I got rid of a chunk of old stash using Freecycle and I'd bet you could pick up enough to get started without having to buy it. Start at Knitting Help

Downshiftingpath said...

You could knit or make the baby a quilt to cosy under with scraps of material that mean something to you. Knitting has been a lifesaver for me I have to say, but then I knit small objets like cosy socks to keep me warm in winter. You could do stargazing if you cannot sleep at night. Or listen to music...