Thursday, February 15, 2007

Attached to Outcomes

One thing that is nice about simple living....one thing that I often take for granted in favor of all the distractions of modern life (constant business, TV, work work work...) is that I have time to reflect on my own self...that is if I choose to do it.
A hectic week led me to watching more TV to wind down (didn't help at all), and feeling that getting busier and busier and more and more flustered would get the task done (also didn't help at all). Now the week is almost over, some major projects and tasks completed and I finally took some time for ME instead of distracting myself with other things. Why didn't I do this earlier? I feel much better, more relaxed and content doing this rather than TV or anything else that I do to try and "relax"......
So what did I find? I have found that I am attached to Outcomes. DESPERATELY attached. And when these Outcomes don't occur, I mourn them like a tragic loss, rather than just a change of plans....

  • I want the light to turn green....NOW so I can be to mass 10 minutes early...no later.
  • I want plenty of closer parking spaces when I get to work (the university sold 600 more parking passes then they had spaces this year...)
  • I want my experiments to turn out in a specific way and the data to tell me exactly X, Y, and Z and on the first try.
  • I want chores and tasks to follow the timeline I set out...no longer.
  • I want vacations and trips to go along exactly as I envisioned them.
  • I want friends and family to treat me a certain way, all the time, regardless of how their day went.
  • I want the store to have exactly what I want, when I need it.
And I could go on and on and on to all of the Outcomes I am attached to....this is not good. I don't want to be angry or impatient. I don't want to be so uptight. I want to be flexible, grateful, and in harmony.

I want to accept what God and the universe has to offer me that day, regardless of how I envisioned it.

Don't Be Angry. Don't Be Bitter. Don't Be Spoiled....Be Grateful, Be Joyful, Be Blessed....Just Be.

1 comment:

willow said...

I can really identify with this post since I must be "ultimate control freak". I have just spent the weekend away and you're right, it doesn't even stop when you are on holiday I still want everything organised and to fit in with my timetable.
I notice that you are a chemist, I have a science degree and I wonder if its part of our make-up? from personal experience scientists do seem to want to control more or am I just making excuses?
I have read a bit about non-attachment but have to admit I find it very difficult to practice.