Monday, April 2, 2007

Reflections and Garden Update

Boy have I been BUSY lately. I am finishing my dissertation and have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off (although I here chickens don't really do that....). Anyway, between finishing writing, meeting with professors, copying 228 pages 4 times over to hand out to committee members I feel like I am about to burst!
Luckily I am about done and can finally take a breather. It kind of sucks because between DH being out of town thanks to the Navy, by best friend under the weather, and being 35 wks pregnant there isn't a whole lot I can do to relax. No celebratory glass of wine or beer, (ok, pre-pregnancy it was many glasses!), no nice dinner out (yet), and I certainly don't feel like a shopping spree being this preggo!
One thing that has helped me relax is gardening and being outside. Lucky for me, it has been gorgeous, sunny and in the 70's here and I got to just sit at our local park and absorb nature for awhile. Just hearing the birds and being able to just "be".

It appears that, especially in the morning or evening,
The birds have no agenda
No plans to draw
No place to rush off to
They seem only to be concerned with singing.

In the midst of all this, it is nice to know that I don't need a shopping splurge, or some other material "reward". Many in this position would possibly buy a new car or a new wardrobe, but just enjoying the time to reflect and be seemed to relax me a lot more than anything I could buy. I am sure when DH gets back into town a small party or dinner out will be in order (and wonderful!), and I can't say if I wasn't ridiculously pregnant some new clothes wouldn't be nice. But at least for a now, I am content with my accomplishment alone.

And speaking of accomplishments, almost all my seeds have sprouted! I actually had to transfer the beans and seeds to larger containers already and all of my other veggies seem to be sprouting fine. Only the cantelopes seem to be struggling but if even the tomatos and beans survive I will be thrilled! Maybe I won't kill it all this year....

6 comments:

willow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
willow said...

Sorry not quite sure how that got deleted.
Just wanted to say well done for finishing your writing. Relax and enjoy, you'll be busy enough in five weeks. So much to look forward to.

Jenny said...

Great job! It sounds like a rather monumental task. I'm sure it's a weight lifted from your shoulders. Congrats on the sprouting seeds too!

Gina said...

I'll echo Willow-relax it's finally almost done! I remember the stress of dissertations all too well:-)

And she's right, you have so much to look forward too in just a few weeks (which will fly by!) It's hard to think like this when you are huge and pregnant, but enjoy those last few weeks the best you can!

Unknown said...

What an accomplishment - congratulations. I have always wanted to want to garden. I have no interest but I *want* to be interested! Perhaps you will inspire me... ;)

Analisa (Megs Mom on MDC, found you from Catholic Mamas over there)

Gina said...

Hope everything is going ok. I know the time is very, very close!!
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.